What is it?
InsightTimer is a free meditation app you can use individually or in groups either as a self-care or learning effectiveness intervention for educators and students of all ages.
What can it do?
- Stream over 12,000 guided meditations; hundreds of topical talks by thousands of meditation teachers around the world, music tracks, and ambient sounds. You can choose among beginner-to-advanced meditations that range from one minute to one hour or more, or use the timer to set your own interval, and add pleasant ambient sounds or music if you like.
- Resources are available in multiple languages.
- Offer an optional stats feature that enables you to set goals and track progress in categories such as meditation sessions over time and milestones achieved. You can set privacy to share your stats with friends only or with broader communities on social media.
- Offer community connection opportunities, which include options to invite personal contacts; share your location to see other meditators nearby and appear on the world meditation map on the app homepage on your device; and/or join into the Insight Group discussion forums on mindfulness topics.
Other Info – This app has access to:
- Device and app history
- Identity, i.e. device account(s) and profile data
- Photos/Media/Files: Uses one or more of these files on the device/ device’s external storage
Download the App
How does it work
- Download and install the InsightTimer app.
- This app is very user-friendly: Just open the app and choose your preferred meditation resource of the day either from the menu at the bottom of the homepage or the new free 7 day course popup to get started if meditation is new to you.
Tip: Reflecting on what you’d like to accomplish in your current meditation session and how much time you can spend before accessing the guided meditation menu can help you navigate the many choices more efficiently and effectively.
Using Insight Timer in teaching and learning
This app can be used to increase concentration, clarity, creativity, confidence, manage stress, or engage in various social, emotional, and spiritual learning activities in individual and/or classroom learning contexts, as shown in this video:
Anthony Gentile, (2018). InsightTimer Tutorial (for Teachers) [5:13] – This YouTube screencast introduces the meditation choice, timer, ambient sound, practice stats, and community connection features and also provides tips on integrating mindfulness into teaching practice.
Extend your learning
InsightTimer, or other high quality meditation apps, can also be used to support and enhance professional development activities, particularly in the human services, intercultural learning, and any other disciplines in which interpersonal communication and relationships are important. For example, the Integrated Mindfulness Certificate at Royal Roads University provides detailed information on the evidence-based benefits of mindfulness practices in classrooms, workplaces, families, and communities.
A short task – challenge yourself!
A starter task
Try it out. Download the app and try a mediation session. Either select one that has already been developed or set up one of your own. Let us know how it went and how you might use this for your personal work and home life. Share with us in the comments below or with the hastag #12AppsBC.
Taking it to the classroom
Consider how this meditation app might help you get your students ready for learning. Develop a meditation session that would work for a class context and share it with us in the comments below or with the hashtag #12AppsBC.
Don’t forget to come back and add a comment below, write a blog post or share your results somewhere on social media. Use the hashtag: #12AppsBC
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.